Re: Fw: 20050725: cgywin and netcdf-3.6.1-beta

address@hidden writes:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Sorry for taking a while to get back I have been out of the office.
>

> When I type f77 --version I get the following information.
>

> GNU Fortran (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
>
> GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
> under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING
> or type the command `info -f g77 Copying'.
>

> I have re-installed the g77 from 2 different cygwin sites. But I still get
> the same error as before when installing. :-(
>
> All I want to do is experiment with NetCDF files and perl.
>
> thanks for you help.
>
> Celia Mackie
>
> Data Analyst
> Scientific & Technical
> Environment
>
> ph(03) 6233 2104
>

>              Ed Hartnett
>              <address@hidden.
>              edu>                                                       To
>                                        address@hidden
>              05/08/2005 11:25                                           cc
>              PM                        address@hidden
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: Fw: 20050725: cgywin and
>                                        netcdf-3.6.1-beta
>

> address@hidden writes:
>
>> Hello Ed,
>>
>> I was just wondering how things are going with the problems.  Was there a
>> simply solutions to the netcdf installing on cygwin problem???
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Celia Mackie
>> Data Analyst
>> Scientific & Technical
>> Environment
>>

> Howdy Celia,
>
> NetCDF seems to be having trouble with your fortran program, which it
> found at /usr/bin/f77.
>
> Is this a very old or broken fortran compiler? Do 'f77 --version' to
> confirm that this is GNU fortran, and that the version is reasonably
> recent. My version is 3.4.3 - if you have a much earlier version, then
> upgrade.
>
> If f77 --version returns an error, then netCDF configure is
> incorrectly identifying it as GNU fortran.
>
> What fortran compiler do you want to use? Presumably you want the
> fortran API, so you have some fortran application in mind...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed
>

> --
> Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden

Try this:

make distclean && FC='' CXX='' ./configure && make test

This will build the netCDF C library, but not the fortran or C++ APIs.

Unless I am much mistaken, the perl interface will not use fortran.

Let me know if this helps!

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden