Re: C manual (fwd)

János,

> BTW: I started to study netCDF with the goal that X-ray Photoelectron
> Spectroscopy
> community is thinking about revising (or replacing) the outdated,
> inadequate, text based transfer format. I would like to suggest netCDF
> as the new standard.
>
> To make the transition easier, I think I should make a converter VAMAS2CDL
> based on ncgen, and the opposite converter. I did not try yet the mailing list
> but from the two mails I received from your team I guess I will receive
> the help I might need.
>
> I found that there are some guite similar standards in spectroscopy,
>
> http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/REDLINE_PAGES/E1948.htm?L+mystore+rpwd2606+1121638371
> http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/REDLINE_PAGES/E1947.htm?L+mystore+rpwd2606+1121639714
> http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/DATABASE.CART/REDLINE_PAGES/E2077.htm?L+mystore+uvlt1856
>
> Is there any info about this in the archive?

Yes, there is a paragraph about this in the somewhat dated document
"Where is NetCDF Used?" at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/usage.html

where it says:

  NetCDF is the vehicle adopted by the Analytical Instrument
  Association [AIA] to implement the Analytical Data Interchange
  Protocols [Andi Protocols] for chromatography [released in 1992] and
  mass spectrometry [released in 1994]. This is an ongoing effort
  which includes adapting Andi Protocols for new data file types. The
  Andi Protocols increase laboratory efficiency and productivity by
  facilitating the integration and use of data from multiple vendors'
  products. For more information about the Andi chromatography
  protocols, see the article "Standards for Chromatography Data
  Systems: ASTM adopts protocols for analytical data interchange
  (Andi)" from May 1998 issue of the American Chemical Society
  publication Today's Chemist at Work The resulting standard
  specification and guide may be downloaded from ASTM: E1947-98
  Standard Specification for Analytical Data Interchange Protocol for
  Chromatographic Data and E1948-98 Standard Guide for Analytical Data
  Interchange Protocol for Chromatographic Data.

and refers to the first two links you found above (I just added the
third) plus the article at:

  http://pubs.acs.org/hotartcl/tcaw/98/may/stan.html

--Russ