20041124: possible bug in NetCDF 3.6 beta6 on Itanium Linux

Howard,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Howard M. Salis" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Bug in NetCDF 3.6 beta6 netcdf_mp_nf90_get_var_1d_fourbyteint on
> Itanium Linux

> ... Because the cfortran.h file doesn't recognize the Intel compilers,
> I've had to overwrite the existing cfortran.h with the patched version
> of NetCDF 3.5's.

I just thought of something.  The cfortran.h file is used with the Intel
Fortran compiler, ifort(1), by defining the C macro "pgiFortran".  See

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/other-builds.html#netcdf-3.6.0-ifort

What happens if you do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source-directory of the netCDF package.

    2.  Revert the file fortran/cfortran.h to the version that comes
        with the netCDF 3.6.0-beta6 distribution.

    3.  Perform steps 3 through 5, described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    4.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string "-DpgiFortran".

    5.  Perform steps 6 through 9, described at

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf/INSTALL.html#ReportingProblems

    6.  Test your program using the new netCDF library.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson