Re: 20041118: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - array size limitation

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Paquita Zuidema" <address@hidden>
>Subject: 20041118: netCDF Fortran (77 + 90) - array size limitation

Hi,

> well, disappointing news. I decided to start over - Ihad
> installed netcdf using Eric Salathe's recommendation, and
> noticed on the email archives that you recommend
> Dierk Polzin's build. got rid of all my netcdf directories, files.
> downloaded netcdf.tar.Z, applied the absoft90_macosx.patch,
> set the environment variables as recommended by Dierk.
> output from ./configure, and from make test (test.log)
> attached. test.log does appear improved over what I
> sent you earlier.

The test.log you sent seemed to be truncated after

  Making `test' in directory /Users/pz/netcdf-3.5.1/src/nc_test

  acc -o nc_test   nc_test.o error.o test_get.o test_put.o test_read.o
test_write.o util.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
  ./nc_test -c
  ./nc_test

so it doesn't show whether the nf_test or f90 directories succeeded.
I'll assume those succeeded for you.

> I go to /src/f90 and do a make to create NETCDF.mod and
> TYPESIZES.mod, and copy these over as netcdf.mod and
> typesizes.mod into the directory where "read_sonia.f95" is
> located. I recompile read_sonia using the -YEXT_NAME=LCS
> and -YEXT_SFX=_ flags.
>
> It doesn't compile, and the error messages,attached as make.log,
> don't make sense to me - for one thing they are in upper-case.

Also, the symbols all seem to have "_in_NETCDF" appended to them,
which is mystifying.

  ld: Undefined symbols:
  ___NF90_CLOSE_in_NETCDF
  ___NF90_GET_ATT_TEXT_in_NETCDF
  ___NF90_GET_VAR_3D_FOURBYTEREAL_in_NETCDF
  ___NF90_INQUIRE_DIMENSION_in_NETCDF

> One thing I noted in config.log is that the c/c++ compiler
> has trouble w/ conftest.c, a clue ?

Not much of one, unfortunately.  The configure script is expected to
fail in compiling some tests, and all the C tests are named
conftest.c.

I downloaded a trial version of the AbsoftProFortran for Mac OS X and
installed it, but could not get "make test" to work on the Fortran and
Fortran90 tests with various combinations of flags, although I was using
the cfortran.h version 4.3 from netCDF-3.6.0-beta6  instead of the
patched cfortran.h version 4.1 from netCDF-3.5.1, in hopes that would
work.  I kept getting undefined externals, such as _nf_close_ or
_NF_CLOSE_, depending on which flags I used.

I noticed a 329 page f90 manual came with the Absoft compiler,
but trying the recommendations in "Chapter 8: Interfacing with Other
Languages" didn't work for me either.  I notice I was using "cc", the
gcc compiler that comes with Mac OS X and you seemed to be using
"acc", the Absoft C compiler, so there's another difference.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this looks like it might take an
expert in using the Absoft compilers on Mac OS X ...

--Russ