20040405: Installing NetCDF 3.5.1 under Cygwin on Windows 2000

Jack,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Jack Williams <address@hidden>
> Subject: Installating NetCDF 3.5.1

> I'm trying to install NetCDF for use with a Linux emulator (cygwin) on
> my Windows 2000.  I have been following the directions reported on
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html.
>
> My installation steps:
> 1) Set environmental variables as recommended, using the following settings:
> export CC=gcc
> export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
> export FC=g77
> export FFLATS=-Wno-globals

I hope that last environment variable was FFLAGS instead of FFLATS.

> export CXX=g++
> 2) Downloaded netcdf.tar.Z and decompressed all files
> 3) Typed 'autoconf' to generate configure script from src/configure.in

The installation instructions do not say to execute autoconf(1).  The
autoconf-generated "configure" script is included in the distribution.
If you're lucky, the recreated script will also work.

> 4) Typed  'run configure'.  When I do so, I get error message:  "Error:
> could not start c:\jackraid\netcdf\netcdf-3.5.1\src\configure'.  No
> output files are generated" .  This error message appeared as a pop-up
> Windows button.
> Typing 'configure' produced this error message: 'bash: configure:
> command not found'

I don't use Cygwin, but I would imagine that to execute the "configure"
script and redirect its output and error streams to a file using
bash(1) one would enter the command

    ./configure &>configure.log

Please try that and let me know.

> Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.
>
> Cheers,
> Jack

Regards,
Steve Emmerson