Date:    Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:02:10 -0700
From:    John Caron <address@hidden>
To:      address@hidden
cc:      address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: Tool for NcML to netCDF?

Russ Rew wrote:

>John,
>
>I just got a call from Michael Fene' <address@hidden> asking
>about whether he could use NcML as an intermediary for passing netCDF
>data around in a Web services context.  He wants to know how difficult
>it is to convert between netCDF and NcML.  I seem to remember that you
>may have the equivalent of ncdump and ncgen for NcML instead of CDL,
>but maybe I remember wrong.  Do such programs exist?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--Russ

ucar.nc2.dataset.FileWriter will take any NcML  dataset or (dods
dataset) and write a local netcdf file.

if you want to go the other way, ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.writeNcML() will
write NcML from any netcdf file.

the netCDF toolsUI has a UI to both:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-java/v2.1/webstart/index.html

so does TDV: