Re: awips grid files question

Hi Dan,

> My goal is to start with AWIPS netcdf Grid files, and be able to
> read certain data from them into a FORTRAN program.  In particular,
> I need model forecast dew point profiles for certain lat/lons.  I've
> played around with ncdump, but the data within each netcdf file are
> not organized in a logical way, so I don't know exactly which
> numbers output from a "ncdump -v rh <filename>" I need...i.e., which
> numbers correspond to the particular forecast and lat/lon I need.
>
> Is this even possible?  If not, is there software or a decoder which
> will extract this data from an AWIPS netcdf Grid file?

If you use the "full annotation option" of ncdump, for example

  ncdump -v rh -ff <filename>

you will get output annotated with comments that identify each value
that will make clearer the order in which the values are displayed.

You should be able to access the dew point profiles for certain
lat/lons by determining the indices corresponding to those lat lons
and using NF_GET_VAR_DOUBLE() for example to get an array of the
values you want at different levels, where lat/lon and time are fixed.

If you have an example that doesn't seem to work, you can send a
specific question about it to address@hidden and we will try
to help.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ