Re: converting netcdf to csv

>To: address@hidden
>From: Danika Gilbert <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20031001: subject

Hi Danika,

> I'm working on a project within RAP (Juneau Airport Warning System) and
> need to convert our netcdf data files into csv format.  I've been doing
> this in a sort of "thuggish" manner (in Matlab) and was hoping to find an
> easier way to do this.
>
> Do you have any suggestions or examples of matlab code to do this?

Some possibilities include:

 - Use the ncdump utility.  There is an ncdump option (-v vars) that
   lets you specify a particular variable or a list of variables.  It
   outputs a comma-separated list of values for the specified
   variable, but also some extra header information to make it valid
   CDL.  You may be able to strip off the header information with some
   extra editing utility, such as sed, awk, or perl.

 - Use the nc2txt utility that is part of the netCDF FAN utilities:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/fan_utils.html

   from

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#FAN

 - Use the contributed "fanmat" package:

    Phil Miller's MATLAB interface to the FAN library for extracting
    and manipulating array data from netCDF files. It includes two MEX
    functions, nc2mat and mat2nc, that are simple gateway functions to
    the FAN library and are MEX file equivalents to the FAN utilities
    nc2text and text2nc.

   from

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/fanmat.taz

By the way, it's better to send netCDF support questions to
address@hidden, so they get routed to someone who can
answer them even if I happen to be out of the office, as I was this
time.

--Russ

address@hidden          http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ