Re: 20031010: ncendef (putget.c)

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Karen Cooper" <address@hidden>
>Subject: ncendef (putget.c)

Hi Karen,

> I've recently upgraded to netcdf 3.5.1-beta13 and was having trouble
> with ncendef.  While googling around I found some bug fixes that were
> submitted by V. Lakshmanan that took care of problems we had in the past
> with this.
> However, it doesn't look like the fixes got added to the new versions.

V. Lakshmanan submitted several sets of patches to us, so I'm not sure
which patches you are referring to.  In one set of patches, he
initialized lots of uninitialized pointers that a tool equivalent to
Purify had identified as possibly being used before set.

However, we have since discovered a bug in 3.5.0 that we fixed in
3.5.1-beta11 which which made it impossible for most of these "used
before set" errors to ever occur.  So we backed out of a patch that
had initialized lots of pointers that appeared to be uninitialized,
because now they were set before being used.  If you can point out the
patch that fixed things for you, or a variable that still needs to be
initialized, we would be very interested and would include the fix in
the next beta.  Thanks!

--Russ