20030919: netCDF installation problems

Janne,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Janne Kauhanen <address@hidden>
> Subject: Installing problems

> I have tried to istall NETCDF to my LINUX (RedHat) workstation, but
> there seems to be some problems. It goes fine till test which failes in
> fortran part. I have tried with different compiler (Absoft Fortran)
> options, but nothing seems to help. Could You help me?
>
> A. Linux stratus.atm.helsinki.fi 2.4.18-5 #1 Mon Jun 10 15:31:48 EDT
> 2002 i686 unknown
>
> B. 3.5.0
>
> C. Attachment (macros.make)
>
> D. C compiler:                        /usr/bin/gcc
>     fortran/fortran90 compiler:       /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90
>     C++ compiler:             /usr/bin/g++
>
> E. Attachment (configure.log)
>
> F. Attachment  (config.log)
>
> G. Attachment  (make.log)
>
> H. Attachment  (test.log)
>
> Thank You,
> Janne
> --
> |--  Janne Kauhanen (M.Sc.)             address@hidden  --|
> |--  Research Scientist                +358-9-191-50854             --|
> |--  Department of Physical Sciences   +358-40-5805705              --|
> |--  Division of Atmospheric Sciences   P.O.Box 64                  --|
> |--  University of Helsinki             FIN 00014 Univ. of Helsinki --|

>  filename="macros.make"

>  filename="configure.log"

>  filename="config.log"

>  filename="make.log"

>  filename="test.log"

> Making `test' in directory /home/users/jvpkauha/netcdf-3.5.0/src/nf_test
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/users/jvpkauha/netcdf-3.5.0/src/nf_test'
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 test_get.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 test_put.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 nf_error.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 nf_test.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 test_read.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 test_write.F
> + /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -c -O2 -w -lU77 util.F
> /usr/bin/gcc -c -O -w   -DNDEBUG -DAbsoftProFortran fortlib.c
> /usr/local/absoft/bin/f90 -o nf_test -O2 -w -lU77  test_get.o test_put.o
> nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o fortlib.o
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a  -lm
> ./nf_test -c
> ./nf_test
> *** Testing nf_strerror ...
> *** Testing nf_open ...
> *** Testing nf_close ...
> *** Testing nf_inq ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_dimid ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_dim ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_dimlen ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_dimname ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_varid ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_var ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_natts ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_ndims ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_nvars ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_unlimdim ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_vardimid ...
> *** Testing nf_inq_varname ...
> [...]

The "make test" is extremely rigorous and comprehensive.  I suspect
that what you've found deals with a problem in the way the pgf90
compiler handles extreme floating-point values (i.e., values near the
limit of representability) rather than with any problem of the netCDF
package itself.

I suggest that you install the package and try it with some of your
netCDF files.  I suspect that you won't have a problem.  If you do,
please contact me.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson