20030707: netCDF Windows - Windows 98 - netcdf file interpretation

>From: "Paula Arcari" <address@hidden>

Hi Paula,

>Institution: Monash University  Post-graduate student
>Package Version: not sure
>Operating System: Windows 98
>Hardware Information: Pentium 2
>Inquiry: Hi,
>
>I am trying to use NCEP reanalysis monthly mean surface temperature
>data in my research on dengue fever and climate in Indonesia.  The only
>way I have been able to decode the NOAA/NCEP data is by converting it
>to a netcdf file.  However, the data appears in 2 columns, as shown on
>the attachment.

Unfortunately, your attachment "kb.cdl" was empty.  Can you resend it?

>Every 2 lines, or every 4 readings, coorespond to one
>month of mean temperature readings for each of the 4 gridpoints.   I
>have been trying for some weeks now to find out in what order the
>coordinates are read in the conversion, as I need to know for sure
>which set are maritime so I can exclude them from my analysis.   For
>example, if the coordinates are 0N 5N and 120E 125E, I need to know if
>the programme reads it as 0N 120E, 0N 125E, then 5N 120E, 5N 125E. Or
>is it 0N 120E, 5N 120E etc...  No-body at the NOAA/NCEP re-analysis
>department could help me as they are not familiar with netcdf files.  I
>have all the data I need, I am just missing that further piece of
>information that will allow me to continue my analysis accurately.

Since data is not stored in a columnar format in netCDF files, I
am interpreting your comments to either refer to data you want to
put into netCDF, or, perhaps, output from something listing a netCDF.
Perhaps if we had the "kb.cdl" file in full your situation would be
more clear.

>I would appreciate any help or suggestions you could provide as it
>seems to be quite difficult finding anyone who can give me an answer to
>this question.

Along with a resend of the "kb.cdl" file, can you describe the procedure
you have to "decode the NOAA/NCEP data is by converting it to a netcdf file"?
Thanks.

>YOurs Sincerely
>Paula Arcari

Tom Yoksas