20030708: 64-bit netcdf on HP-UX 11.11

Alf,

> To: address@hidden
> From: Alf Grini <address@hidden>
> Subject: netcdf at HPUX

> I am trying to compile the netCDF libraries at the following machine
>
> bash-2.05a$ uname -a
> HP-UX pico B.11.11 U 9000/800 604309392 unlimited-user license
>
> I would like to have the libraries in 64 bit architecture (i.e. fortran
> programs compile with +DA2.0W).
>
> Do you have any idea what options/flags I need to put to succeed. At your
> web page you only have options for build with 32 bit architecture.
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#hpux
>
> Do I need to change the ARFLAGS or NMFLAGS like you propose for AIX
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/INSTALL.html#aix
>
> Sincerely
>
> Alf Grini
>
> --------------------------
> --------------------------
> Alf Grini
> Department of geophysics
> University of Oslo
> NORWAY
> Tel: +47 22 85 58 19
> Fax: +47 22 85 52 69
> --------------------------

I was able to successfully build and test the netCDF 3.5.0 package on
the following system:

    $ uname -a
    HP-UX tweety B.11.00 E 9000/785 2004553471 8-user license

using the following set of environment variable settings:

    CC=/bin/cc
    CPPFLAGS='-D_HPUX_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
    CFLAGS='-g +DD64'
    FC=/opt/fortran90/bin/f90
    FFLAGS='-w +noppu +DA2.0W'
    FLIBS=-lU77
    CXX=''

Notes:

    1.  The C++ compiler (/bin/CC) can't build a 64-bit mode object file.

    2.  The Fortran-77 compiler (/opt/fortran/bin/fort77) can't build a
        64-bit mode object file.

    3.  The "+noppu" option to the Fortran-90 compiler means that it
        won't postpend an underscore (_) suffix to global symbol names.

If you want to try this on your system, then

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

    3.  Set the environment variables according to the above.  You may
        add non-conflicting options (such as for optimization).

    2.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.html.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson