Re: 20030410: netCDF install problem

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Rolando S. Balotro" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Install Problem

Hi Roland,

> I am a new NETCDF convert.
>
> I have installed it but I seem to be missing files in
> /usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/include
>
> It only contains the following:
> netcdf.h  netcdf.inc  netcdf.mod

Those are the only files that should be in the
/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/include directory if you didn't also install
the C++ interface.  (With the C++ interface, there are a few
additional include files, netcdfcpp.h, netcdf.hh, and ncvalues.h.)

You should also have a large library file in
/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/lib

 libnetcdf.a

and a couple of executable utility programs in
/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/bin

 ncgen  ncdump

If you installed the documentation, there would also be a
/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/man directory with some subdirectories
containing the reference documentation in troff format.

Are you reporting that none of these directories or files exist?  If
not, did you see any error messages when you invoked "make install"
that would explain why the installation directories weren't created or
the files weren't copied into them?

> I have made use of these flags:
> export CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran'
> export CFLAGS=-O
> export FC=pgf90
> export FFLAGS='-O -w'
>
> and proceeded with the steps outlined in the manual
>
> 1. ./configure
> 2. make
> 3. make test
> 4. make install
>
> I wonder what else could I be missing.

The above looks fine, assuming you wanted netCDF installed in a sister
directory to where the src resides, presumably in
/usr/local/netcdf-3.5.0/src.

If you want the include files, library, executables, and documentation
installed somewhere else, you would have to specify a "--prefix"
argument when you invoke the "configure" script, as in

 ./configure --prefix=/local/netcdf

You also have to make sure you have permissions to create directories
and copy files to the place you have specified for installation.

--Russ

address@hidden                      http://my.unidata.ucar.edu