20020507: netCDF installation trouble on SGI (cont.)

>From: "Kristin"

Kristin,

First, please ignore my last email (where I asked for the output
of 'make attr.i'.

OK, so we were _really_ scratching our heads here.  One of the tests
that configure runs was determining that the header files on your
system were not standard, and the test it made for determining this
appears to be be incorrect.  What ends up happening is that the file
libsrc/ncconfig.h gets created with a '#define ptrdiff_t int' which
then conflicts with the 'typedef int ptrdiff_t' in your
/usr/include/stddef.h file.

We think that you can get around this problem by changing your macro
definitions to:

CC=/bin/cc
CPP='/bin/cc -E'
FC=/bin/f90
CXX=
CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
CFLAGS=-O
FFLAGS=-O

(i.e., change c89 to cc), and then run:

make distclean
./configure
make

If this does not work, try changing the definition of CPPFLAGS to
CPPFLAGS='-ansi -DNDEBUG' while keeping the definitions for CC and CPP
as they are above and rerun 'make distclean', ./configure, and make.

Please let us know the results of this change.

Tom