Re: 20020123: large files in NETCDF 3.4 under HPUX 11

>To: address@hidden
>From: Tim Davis <address@hidden>
>Subject: large files in NETCDF 3.4 under HPUX 11

Hi Tim,

With the help of our systems administrator, Mike Schmidt, I just
created a 3 Gbyte netCDF file on our HP-UX system.  Mike had to remake
the file system on which I was testing, because the default is to only
permit files less than 2 Gbytes.  As Mike wrote:

  It looks like it must be enabled on a filesystem basis for both HFS
  and VxFS filesystem types.  I just turned it on for /test on can now
  create files greater than 2GB.  COMET has some documentation on
  doing this via the command line;

http://www.comet.ucar.edu/strc/old_sac/info/GeneralInfo/Documentation/lg_files.html

  but it can also be done via the system admin tool SAM.

The only flag I used on the compilation of the netCDF test program was
"CFLAGS=+DD64", and on the new file system, everything just worked.  I
had originally built the library with the additional environment
variable setting CPPFLAGS='-D_HPUX_SOURCE -w', but now I'm not even
sure that was necessary.  By the next release, I'll have this
documented with the minimal flags necessary.

By the way, another version of the HP-UX white paper on large file
support is available from:

  http://devresource.hp.com/STK/partner/lg_files.pdf

--Russ