Re: 20011106: netCDF format

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Sergey Kirillov" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF format

Hi Sergey,

>    My name is Sergey Kirillov and I  m  a PhD student of the Arctic and
> Antarctic Research Institute, St-Petersburg, Russia.
>    My letter is concerned the Climatic Data Center data stored in the netCDF
> format. In spite of the exhaustive information about this format on your
> Internet page I could not find any executable application for data reading and
> transform to another format. Unfortunately I have not got an experience both
> in
> Fortran and C environment and I don t have possibility to build up executable
> application.
>   Could you explain me please how to get ready-made application without
> building up a routine.

"ncdump" is an application that reads a netCDF file and converts it to
formatted text form.  There are flags to ncdump that permit annotating
the text data output to make it a little clearer or to specify that
only specified variables should be output.  It is available as part of
the netCDF package, either in source form or as a binary executable
for various platforms in one of the netCDF binary distributions.  For
ncdump documentation, see:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ncdump

There are scientific data analysis and visualization packages that
convert netCDF data to graphical form, so you can see it.  Examples
include IDL, MATLAB, ncview, ncbrowse, and many others, both
commercial and freely available.  These are described in the list of
applications at:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/netcdf/software.html

Another contributed Fortran program named GENNET.F will read a netCDF
file and generate another Fortran program for reading data from that
file.  So you can then simply add statements to print out the data or
to write it in another format.  GENNET.F is available from:

 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/gennet.f

Other contributed programs that convert netCDF data to various forms
are available from:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/Contrib.html

but note that we do not support these.  Questions about them should
be directed to their authors.

--Russ