Re: NetCDF under Mac OsX.1

>To: address@hidden
>From: Steve Diggs <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20011105: NetCDF under Mac OsX.1

Hi Steve,

> Has anyone successfully built the latest version of netCDF under Mac OS
> X.1?  I have installed the developer tools, but don't have a clue how to
> make it behave so that I can make it happen for NetCDF.

Yes, I built it on Mac OS X 10.1 and it worked fine out of the box,
with the addition of a flag for M4.  For details, see:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/netcdf/INSTALL.html#macosx

The Fortran interface also worked with g77, which I installed using
the "Fink" package at http://fink.sourceforge.net/.  We don't have any
f90 compiler to try though ...

> In addition, I need to convert YYYYMMDD.HHMMSS to a fractional "days since
> 1980.1.1 0:0:0".  Any ideas on algorithms would be great.  I guess I'm
> pretty lazy about stuff like that.

For C, there's the netBSD function strptime() that could be adapted to
do that conversion.  I expect there's something similar in Perl and
Python, but don't know off-hand.

--Russ