20011102: netCDF Installation Problem

>From: "Trey Apel" <address@hidden>

Trey,

>Attached is the error log for the "configure" shell.  I have been
>attempting to install netCDF and cannot get "configure" to operate
>correctly.  Any suggestions or help that you may have would be greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks for you time.

The log output from configure shows that you do not have a working C
compiler, or, at least, /bin/c89 does not work (and the majority of the
netCDF package is in C).  The reason for the failure should be found
in the file config.log.

From the output it looks like your Fortran compiler is found in
/opt/fortran/bin and is named fort77.  This hints that the platform is
HP-UX; true?  If so, then try defining environment variables like the
following:

CC=/bin/cc
CPPFLAGS="-D_HPUX_SOURCE -DNDEBUG"
CFLAGS=-O
FC=/opt/fortran/bin/fort77         # might be /usr/bin/fort77 instead
FFLAGS="-O3 -w"
CXX=

and then retry your configure.  If this doesn't work, then I would
check to see if /bin/c89 and/or /bin/cc exists.  On HP-UX, they
will both be links to executables in /opt/ansic/bin:

c89@ -> /opt/ansic/bin/c89
cc@ -> /opt/ansic/bin/cc

In any case, the reason for the configure failure on your system is a
direct result of the /bin/c89 failure.

>       name="configure.log"

>checking for top-level source-directory
>/home/GMT/netcdf-3.5.0/src
>checking for m4 preprocessor
>checking for m4... m4
>checking m4 flags... -B10000
>checking C compiler "/bin/c89"... failed to compile test program
>checking how to make dependencies... false
>checking for /usr/bin/CC... /usr/bin/CC
>checking C++ compiler "/usr/bin/CC"... configure: warning: /usr/bin/CC
>failed on test program
>configure: warning: Could not find working C++ compiler
>configure: warning: Setting CXX to the empty string
>configure: warning: The C++ interface will not be built
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
>checking user-defined Fortran-77 compiler "/opt/fortran/bin/fort77"...  works
>checking for Fortran .F compiler...
>checking if Fortran-77 compiler handles *.F files... yes
>checking "/opt/fortran/bin/fort77" as Fortran-90 compiler... failed to build
>test program
>checking for xlf90... no
>checking for f90... no
>configure: warning: Could not find working Fortran-90 compiler
>configure: warning: The Fortran-90 interface will not be built
>checking for nm utility
>checking for nm... nm
>checking nm flags...
>checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... sub
>checking for Fortran "byte"... yes
>checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
>checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"... configure: error: Could not
>compile conftest.c

>Trey Apel
>Department of Geological Sciences
>University of Idaho