Re: 20000526: problem

>To: address@hidden
>From: mengfan <address@hidden>
>Subject: problem

Hi Meng Fan,

> When I compile a data coversion fortran code using libnetcdf.a I have
> got error message as
> following:
>
> [root@mf]# make
> g77 -O -finit-local-zero
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libioapi.a
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libnetcdf.a
> tranconc.o BLNKAL.o CHARIN.o CHAROUT.o CKSUMER.o FILEINBC.o FILEINI1.o
> FILEINI2.o FILEOPEN.o RABORT.o RDFD.o RDSLAB.o RDSPR.o RDTEXT.o RDTSH.o
> RDUFH.o mapping.o filbuf.o
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libioapi.a
>
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libnetcdf.a
> -o  tranconc
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libnetcdf.a(ncio.o):
> In function `blksize':
> ncio.o(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `_fxstat'
> /mf_model_3/Pave_dir/edss/subsys/frmwk/Linux2_x86/lib/subsys/ioapi/Linux86/lib/libnetcdf.a(ncio.o):
> In function `fgrow':
> ncio.o(.text+0x52): undefined reference to `_fxstat'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [tranconc] Error 1

This may be a Linux-related problem rather than a netCDF problem,
since "_fxstat" is a symbol that is not used anywhere in the netCDF
software.  I found a couple of references to others who had linker
errors related to "_fxstat" on Linux systems:

  http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/glib-linux-archive/9905/0001.html
  http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9906/msg00452.html
  http://list.gatech.edu/archives/ale/9804/0270.html
  http://www.us.debian.org/Bugs/db/36/36762.html
  http://www.de.debian.org/Bugs/db/36/36139.html

that indicate the problem might be resolved if you rebuild your netCDF
library from source before trying to link to it.

> I have got 'Access Denied " message when I  download the beta test
> version of netCDF 3.5.  Is that server not accessible for the people out
> side U.S.? If the tar file is not too big , could you please email me
> one copy? I have met some trouble when I try to link libnetcdf.a.
> Therefore , I 'd like to try a new version. By the way, the error
> message I have got is as following . Could please tell me what is
> problem?

The netCDF 3.5 version won't include "_fxstat", but recompiling it
from source may fix the problem by making the netCDF library
compatible with the Linux system libraries you have installed (but in
that case recompiling netCDF version 3.4 should work as well).  The
tar file is too big to mail, but try using this URL to get the latest
tar file and let us know if you still can't get it:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-beta.tar.Z

--Russ