Re: netCDF support note on alpha Linux Fortran interface

Alfred,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I just installed the NetCDF 3.4 package on an alpha linux workstation
> with the new Compaq FORT F77/F90 compiler.
>
> I would like to inform you that this compiler has, as the f2c
> under linux, the same unfortunate behavior concerning the underscores.
> It adds an additional underscore when the function name contains already
> one. Therefore this problem can be solved by either defining a FORT
> variable and extending the if/then block in the ncfortran.h code or
> by just commenting out hte if/then test in this routine.
>
> I thought you might be interested in the behavior of this new compiler
> of Compaq in the linux environment. as it is free it might become
> rather popular in the future. And maybe you are interested in taking
> the FORT behavior into account for the installation procedure to take
> the appropriate precautions automatically.
>

> I am very grateful for the netcdf package, its great stuff for my
> work!

Thank you for the feedback.  We think that the current configuration and
installation procedure can cover this situation if the user ensures that
the CPPFLAGS environment contains the string "-Df2cFortran".

If you would be willing to test this hypothesis and send us your
environment variable settings, I'll add them to the examples in the
INSTALL file.

Regards,