Re: 20000214: netCDF and Java

>To: <address@hidden>
>From: "Sveta Shasharina" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netCDF and Java

Hi Sveta,

> I came across you paper "Extending the netCDF model to Java."  You
> mention there that the classes you created can be extended to
> accomodate other formats too.  Have you followed up on this idea?
> Are you aware of other efforts in this area?

John Caron has continued to refine the classes for multidimensional
arrays that were originally used in the Java netCDF package.  See

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/caron/ma2.htm

We haven't tried to use these with other formats yet.

We are aware of the HDF5 effort in the area of providing a Java
interface to scientific data (but note that it makes native calls to C
functions):

  http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/java-hdf5-html/

and some other Java packages that also provide multidimensional array
abstractions:

  http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/ninja/
  http://imagelib.ncsa.uiuc.edu:90/imagelib/Horizon/overview.html
  http://nicewww.cern.ch/~hoschek/colt/index.htm