Re: Installing netcdf

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Dr. Mehdi Rezapour" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Installing netcdf

Hi Mehdi,

> Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Finally I removed a shell script
> cc file in directory /usr/ucb and then I installed netcdf-3.4 using gcc
> version
> 2.7.2.2. It works but in directory ../src/cxx  "make" fail and give this error
> ---
> In file included from netcdf.hh:16,
>                  from necdf.cc:12:
> ncvalues.hh:13: iostream.h: No such file or directory
> ncvalues.hh:17: strstream.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `netcdf.o'
> I tried to exclude "iostream.h" and "strstream.h" in files ncvalueshh and
> etc.
> But again didn't work and give different massages.

Your C++ compilation environment doesn't appear to have the standard
header-files "iostream.h" and "strstream.h".  This means that your C++
compilation environment can't be used to compile the C++ netCDF
interface.

You have two choices:

 1.  Don't build the netCDF C++ interface, since it's not needed
     unless you actually have C++ programs that call it.  I don't
     believe GMT makes any use of the C++ interface.

     To build netCDF without the C++ interface requires re-executing
     steps 2 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.  At step 5 --
     when defining environment variables -- set the environment
     variable CXX to the empty string (i.e.  "") to tell the
     "configure" script that you don't want the C++ interface.

 2.  Repair your C++ compilation environment (e.g. by reinstalling
     the GNU C compiler), so that at least the following simple C++
     program compiles and runs correctly:

 #include <iostream.h>
 int main() {
     cout << "Hello\n";
     return 0;
 }

--Russ

P.S. It would be better to send questions like this to
"address@hidden" rather than specific addresses like mine,
because that way the question will be forwarded to someone who can
answer it even if I happen to be on vacation or otherwise away from my
email.