Re: 20000105: configure error: nm: not found

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: address@hidden (Brett Bush)
Subject: Re: 20000105: configure error: nm: not found
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 08:29:09 -0700
From: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>

Brett,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I'm trying to install netcdf on a Sun Ultra 10 running
> Solaris 7 and I'm getting the following error:
>
> kumo% ./configure
> checking for m4... no
> checking for gm4... no
> checking for xlc... no
> checking for c89... c89
> checking C compiler... works
> checking how to make dependencies... cc -xM
> checking for CC... CC
> checking C++ compiler "CC"... works
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... c89 -E
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for Fortran .F compiler...
> checking if Fortran compiler handles *.F files... yes
> checking for C-equivalent to Fortran routine "SUB"... ./configure: nm: not
> found
> configure: error: not found
>
> I saw NetCDF support email archive that some others had similar
> problems but could not seem to resolve the fix. Can you help me
> you getting past this error?
>
> Brett Bush
> Scripps Institution of Oceanography

The error in the output from the configure script indicates that the
script was unable to locate the "nm" utility -- undoubtably because the
directory containing it isn't in your PATH environment variable.

Try the following:

    1.  Locate the "nm" utility.  Our Solaris systems have a couple:
        /usr/xpg4/bin/nm and /usr/ccs/bin/nm.

    2.  Add the directory containing "nm" to your PATH environment
        variable.

    3.  Go to the top-level, netCDF, source directory.

    4.  Perform steps 3 through 9 near the end of the INSTALL file.

Regards,

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy