Re: 19991102: Win32 DLL nc_inq_libvers() returns wrong string

Thomas,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
> I am working with the 32-bit version of your netcdf.dll on Windows NT.
> nc_inq_libvers brings "VERSION of Mar 17 1998 16:25:22 $".
> According to the documentation nc_inq_libvers should bring a version
> number (and then the date) instead of the string VERSION. (for example
> "3.1a of Mar 17 1998 16:25:22 $")
> What am I doing wrong?
> Thank you in advance and best regards
> Thomas Dietrich, Agilent Technologies, subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard.

You're not doing anything wrong -- the library was accidentally built
incorrectly.  On a Win32 system, all the files have to be manually
compiled -- and the file "libsrc/libvers.c", which contains the version
information, has to be compiled with the macro VERSION defined as the
contents of the file "VERSION".  Because this accidentally wasn't done,
the string returned by the nc_inq_libvers() function is incorrect in the
Win32 DLL version of the netCDF package.

We'll try to make sure that this doesn't happen with the next release
and we'll see about putting out a new version 3.4 Win32 DLL.

Would you like to be notified when and if this happens?

--------