Re: 19991102: attribute limit length?

Matt,

In the above message, you wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any limit to the length of a string attribute.

I believe that a string attribute cannot be larger that the maximum
value of a "size_t".

> I believe the documentation says there isn't, but do you know of any
> problems that might occur when the attribute length gets too long? (besides
> memory restrictions when extracting them).  Thanks so much.

Because string attributes are read into Fortran character variables
-- and such variables may have a limit imposed on them by the Fortran
compiler (e.g. 256 bytes) -- it might not be possible for a Fortran
program to read lengthy string attributes.  Check your Fortran compiler
to be sure.

--------