Re: 19991101: NetCDF for 64-bit machines?

Mary,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Dear NetCDF support,
>
> I have to build netCDF on several machines since we use it to build
> one of our NCAR Graphics applications "ncl".  I've had success
> building it on several UNIX systems, but not on an IBM/AIX system in
> 64-bit mode (the -q64 option to the compiler) or on a Compaq in 64-bit
> mode.

Would that be *any* IBM/AIX system or only certain ones?  What compiler
would be used?  What does the "-q64" option do?

> I believe Russ Rew was given an account on blackforest, an IBM SP, to
> look into the q64 problem, but I'm not sure what the status of this
> is.

Russ is in Australia this week and should return next Tuesday.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the "q64" problem and I don't
have an account on Blackforest.  We do, however, have an IBM/AIX system
here:

    AIX gale 3 4 001330614C00

Could I investigate your problem on this system?  NB: The "man cc" page
on this system doesn't show a "-q64" option.

> My question is whether you have plans to support these 64-bit
> architectures any time in the near future?

As far as I know, our intention is to support the netCDF library as
much as possible consonant with the netCDF data model and our limited
resources.  The current netCDF package is already compliant with the
64-bit mode of an Alpha/OSF1 system.

--------