Re: 19990909: OpenVMS builds of netCDF 3.4

>From: "Treadway, Alexander H" <address@hidden>
>Subject: OpenVMS

Hi Alex,

> I have looked through your FAQ section and in particular your other-builds
> section for NetCDF 3.4 but did not find any references to OpenVMS. Do you
> know of anyone who has tried a build for OpenVMS 7.1 on an Alpha platform?

No, we're not aware of any VMS port of netCDF 3.4, but there is a VMS
port of netCDF 2.4.3, found by searching for "openvms" from the
support email search link at the bottom of the netcdf home page:

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3151

We even make available a binary compiled version for DEC Alpha/VMS
platforms:

 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/binary/vms-alpha/netcdf-2_4_3.bck

Version 2.4.3 uses the same file format, so it's interoperable with
files created under netCDF 3.4, and programs written to the netCDF 2
API are still supported under netCDF 3 also.  So if you use the 2.4.3
port on VMS, I'm not sure you lose much, except some optimizations,
bug fixes, and the advantages of the new netCDF 3 APIs.

--Russ