Re: 19990909: NetCDF on Windows&NT

>To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>cc: "Lee, Sunhee" <address@hidden>
>From: "Lee, Sunhee" <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF on Windows&NT

Hi Sunhee,

> My name is Sunhee Lee and  am working for Australian national
> scientific reaserach organisation called CSIRO.

> I hope to install NetCDF on Windows and NT.
> On your web page of FAQsite it was mentioned that to build NetCDF on a Win32
> platform, obtain://http.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/makes.zip.
> when I read its win32_install file, it mentions that it builds netcdf
> using MS VIsual C++ and Digital Visual Fortan5.0.
> My question is that it is possible to build with Lahey Fortran Compiler.
> Also is there any latest development regarding implementing Netcdf on
> Winows?

We don't have a Lahey compiler, so I don't know what problems there
might be trying to build the Fortran interface for a Lahey
compiler.  I've looked back through the netCDF support mail archives,
searching for "lahey" from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html
and
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdfgroup.html

but didn't see anyone reporting about success with this combination.
Arellano Avelino <address@hidden> posted a question about this to
the netcdfgroup mailing list in October 1998

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdfgroup-list/1217

but there was no response.  Also Arlindo da Silva reported success
using the freely available g77 compiler for GNU Win32 platforms with
netCDF 3.4, see

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdfgroup-list/1198

The current netCDF 3.4 version compiles on Windows NT using the Visual
C++ compiler; there are a couple of warnings that can be ignored:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html#nc_test

The current beta release of netCDF version 3.5 compiles on Windows
NT using the Visual C++ compiler.  You can get the beta release
sources from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.5-beta2.ZIP

and use the Makefiles available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.win32make.ZIP

or just get the binary for Windows NT from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/win32/netcdf-3.5.win32bin.ZIP

--Russ