Re: basic test

> Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 18:06:23 +0300
> From: Bernard Nemry <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: basic test

Hi Bernard,

> I am testing NetCDF library with samples found in the User's Guide for
> Fortran
> (June 1997).
>
> In a single FORTRAN source, I use functions NF_CREATE, then NF_OPEN.
>
> NF_CREATE('foo.nc',NF_CLOBBER,ncid) creates a file 'foo.nc',
> (status = 0, ncid = 3)
> but NF_OPEN('foo.nc',NF_WRITE,ncid) gives
> status = -51 (Not a netCDF file) and stops the run.

This might have worked if you had closed the file with NF_CLOSE after
creating it with NF_CREATE, but that's probably not what you intended.
You should usually use either NF_CREATE or NF_OPEN, not both.
NF_CREATE is intended for when you want to create a new netCDF file,
and NF_OPEN is intended for when you want to open an existing netCDF
file that was previously created.

For an example of the sequence of calls used to create a netCDF
dataset, see "4.1 Creating a NetCDF Dataset" in the Fortran User's
Guide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guidef/guidef-9.html#HEADING9-0

For examples of opening an existing netCDF dataset, see the subsequent
sections "4.2 Reading a NetCDF Dataset with Known Names" and "4.3
Reading a netCDF Dataset with Unknown Names".

Also, feel free to direct questions like this to
"address@hidden" rather than the mailing list
"address@hidden".  Despite the somewhat misleading name,
the latter is actually a mailing list of netCDF users.

--Russ