Re: 19990520: Incomplete file NetCDF

> From: address@hidden (John Sheldon)
> Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 10:44:58 -0400
> To: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: 19990520: Incomplete file NetCDF

John,

> > Alternatively, you could use the appended C program on a *copy* of the
> > file to change the number of records to the number specified on the
> > command line after the file name.
>
> The utility you sent (the corrected version :-) worked like a charm.
> I'm surprised this hasn't been more of a problem before.  How about
> making this tool available from the netCDF web pages somewhere?
> (Though I guess folks could find it in the email archives - which are
> also a great resource, by the way.)
>
> Thanks a lot, Russ!

Thanks for the great feedback.

Since this question has come up before, I plan to add an FAQ about it
and discuss it in the section on calling nc_close() in the User's
Guide.

The quick hack I threw together in the email message should do a
couple of other things: check that what it is working on is a netCDF
file, and echo the previous number of records so it's possible to
revert the operation.  When I get around to making those changes, I'll
put it in the "contributed" directory and add some links to it.

Maybe there should be a way to do this in the API, but I'll have to
think about that more, since it seems like a dangerous operation.

--Russ