Re: 19990601: building netCDF 3.4 under FreeBSD

Pedro,

In the above message, you wrote:

> Hello
>       I've "ported" netCDF3.4 to FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org)
> most of the work was to define gnu m4 instead of BSD m4 (due the -B flag),
> to make configure to use gcc , gm4 and g++ and to add a
> CPPFLAGS += f2cFortran to fortran/Makefile.

We don't have access to a FreeBSD system, so thank you for sending this
in.  I'm slightly surprised that the FreeBSD m4(1) utility doesn't handle
the "-B10000" option because the BSD/OS m4(1) utility does.

>       Looking into configure script it seems all this
> could be done there by just adding a FreeBSD*) clause on the
> `case' tests. What would be a good approach to include FreeBSD
> on future releases of netCDF? I'd like to have it ready because
> I'm porting IBM's Data Explorer to FreeBSD and netCDF is one
> of the data exchange libs used

The best approach would be to tell us the environment variable settings
that you used to build the package -- we could then incorporate those
settings in the EXAMPLES section of the INSTALL file.  What should the
settings be for the following:

    ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE        MEANING                 EXAMPLE
    --------------------        -------                 -------
    CC                          C compiler              /usr/bin/gcc
    CPPFLAGS                    C preprocessor flags    -DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran
    CFLAGS                      C flags                 -O
    FC                          Fortran compiler        /usr/local/bin/fort77
    FFLAGS                      Fortran flags           -O -w -Nx400
    CXX                         C++ compiler            /usr/bin/g++
    M4                          m4 preprocessor         /usr/bin/gm4
    M4FLAGS                     m4 flags                -B10000

Would the above settings work?  (Obviously, the M4FLAGS setting
wouldn't.)  What are the actual, absolute pathnames for your gcc,
fort77, g++, and m4 utilities?

--------