Re: [Fwd: Re: 19990419: NetCDF Java Classes]

>To: address@hidden
>From: Stephen G Pandich <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF Java Classes

Hi Vijay,

>       Steve forwarded me your message. Thank you for the update. I am very
> excited to note that you are planning to support NetCDF for Java.
> As you may be aware, NetCDF is part of the standard specification for
> storing analytical Mass Spectrometry Data. We are in the process of
> building a user interface to display MS data on the web via Java
> applets. We are currently investigating several mechanisms to accomplish
> this but we are targeting to provide some basic functional version out
> in a couple of months. Since you mentioned plans to develop the java
> interface I am wondering if you could share with us your tentative time
> line ? It would also be helpful if you can share with us the details of
> the functionality and version compatiblities for your targeted release.
> To the extent our time lines agree we would be happy to work with you
> and test the Java implementation as best as we can !!

The plans I mentioned for further development of the Java interface
for netCDF have an indefinite schedule at this time, but we have
already made a release of the software (called the "current release"
on the web page

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/java/index.html

and we are currently supporting it.  Hence any future development will
be enhancements to the current release, and will include
considerations for backward compatibility, as I mentioned in the

Though we don't have a definite time line for more work on netCDF for
Java, you can be sure of being informed about any future test releases
or enhancements by subscribing to our netcdf-java mailing list, as
described on the web page ...

--Russ