Re: 19990419: help with installing NETCDF v2.4.3

>To: address@hidden
>From: Gavin Esler <address@hidden>
>Subject: help with installing NETCDF v2.4.3

Hi Gavin,

> Help! I am currently trying to install NETCDF v2.4.3 for use with a specific
> software package, and the package does not seem to work.
> When compiling with the software in question I get errors like

> xdr_enum
> /home/atm/usr4/jge1000/WERNLI/traj/lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_float
> /home/atm/usr4/jge1000/WERNLI/traj/lib/libnetcdf.a(cdf.o)
>
> etc etc...
>
> The output requested from the SUN machine I am trying to use is below.
>
> I hope you can help,

These errors are probably the result of not including the linker flag
"-lnsl" at the end of your compile/link options.  On old Sun4
platforms, the nsl library must be specified because that's where the
XDR libraries used by this version of netCDF are stored.

If you use the current release of netCDF (version 3.4) available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-3.4.tar.Z

you don't need to specify "-lnsl", since the netCDF library no longer
requires a vendor-supplied XDR library.

--Russ