Re: 19990403: NetCDF for Java question

>To: address@hidden
>From: Nan Galbraith <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF for Java question

Hi Nan,

> > Two questions:
> > 1. I thought there might be some discussion going
> > on in the mailing list - is my postmaster overfiltering our mail,
> > or am I the first person at this party, or is this package so easy
> > to use that there's no discussion needed?
>
> There has been some use, but little discussion.
> Most of the discussion has not been on netcdf-group.
> You can go to
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html
> and search the support archive to get an idea about what has been going on.

And here's a list of the last few substantive posts to the netcdf-java
mailing list:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3190
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3266
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3267
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3268
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3270
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3359

> > Have others already created the applet that takes user input to
> > define the slice of data that will be returned? Are these example
> > available somewhere?

> I think Russ may have done some work in this area.
> I am forwarding this to him as well.
>
> -glenn

I once started on a netCDF browser, but it's not ready, and I haven't
done anything with applets yet.  We're mostly working with Java
applications here, and haven't got an example of use of the new Java
security interfaces to do what's necessary to permit a Java applet to
read from a local file system.  (An applet should be able to read data
from the server host though, without violating applet security
restrictions.)

WebWinds and VisAD are two examples of Java packages that can read
netCDF data, so you might be able to look at the examples they
provide:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#WebWinds
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#VisAD

--Russ