Re: 19990403: NetCDF for Java question

>To: address@hidden
>From: Nan Galbraith <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF for Java question
>
> I'm hoping to use NetCDF for Java to implement a stand-alone cdrom
> version of a web-based NetCDF data server which I originally wrote using
> perl. The original version used html forms which allowed the user to specify
> datasets, variables, bins, time limits and filtering and decimation values,
> and then download NetCDF or, optionally, ASCII data as defined by the user.
>
> My plan is to now implement these forms as applets, in order to allow the
> user to work off-line with no server, for ex. at sea. Java seems like the
ideal
> language for this, since there will be a variety of users' platforms. The
> existence of NetCDF for Java (NFJ) seems like an incredible stroke of good
luck,
> and the package looks really well documented and well designed.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. I thought there might be some discussion going on in the mailing list -
> is my postmaster overfiltering our mail, or am I the first person at this
> party, or is this package so easy to use that there's no discussion needed?

There has been some use, but little discussion.
Most of the discussion has not been on netcdf-group.
You can go to
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghnetcdf.html
and search the support archive to get an idea about what has been going on.

> 2. Is the application (sorry, applet) I've described the sort of use that NFJ
> is meant to do?

Most emphatically yes.

> Have others already created the applet that takes user input
> to define the slice of data that will be returned? Are these example
available
> somewhere?

I think Russ may have done some work in this area.
I am forwarding this to him as well.

-glenn