Re: 19980113: T3-D build problem: libsrc/test.nc comparison failure

David,

In the above message, you wrote:

>    Thanks for the quick response. In the past, when I run the
> ./configure, I did not see any error on the standard output (on the
> screen). I did not look at the config.log and I assume things were
> OK. I did run the make. It crashed at the point comparing test.nc
> test_nc.sav. Finally I checked the config.log file and saw some error
> messages. I believe the crash has something do with the errors in the
> config.log file. In other words, the ./configure did not run properly
> to perform correct setup. That's why I am checking with you guys to
> have more insights about the problem.

I didn't see anything in the "config.log" file that would indicate a
problem.  The file contains error messages resulting from tests that
the configure script performs in order to determine the features and
capabilities of the underlying system.  Since no system has all features
tested for by the configure script, the "config.log" file will always
contain error messages.  The trick is differentiating meaningfull ones
from meaningless ones (a meaningful error message is one that indicates
a problem that the configuration procedure can't work around).  I didn't
see any meaningfull error messages in the file.

> -F is an option on Cray Fortran compiler to turn on Flowtrace feature which is
>    a performance monitoring tool.

Ah!  Thanks.

>    Anyway, I followed your suggestion and I could only go up to step 4 and it
> died. I attached test.log in this email message.
> --------------83764D82121997C8F91E3A59
>
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG t_nc.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG attr.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG dim.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG error.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=`cat ../VERSION` libvers.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG nc.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncio.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG ncx.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG putget.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG string.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG v1hpg.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG v2i.c
>       cc -c -O -I.  -DNDEBUG var.c
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>       ar cru   libnetcdf.a attr.o  dim.o  error.o  libvers.o  nc.o  ncio.o
> ncx.o  putget.o  string.o  v1hpg.o  v2i.o  var.o
>       ranlib libnetcdf.a
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>       cc -o t_nc -O  t_nc.o -L. -lnetcdf
>       ./t_nc
> dimrename: IXX
> nc_close ret = 0
>
> reopen id = 274878097856 for filename test.nc
> NC done
> GATTR VAR VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> fill_seq indices       1 2 3  75.000000 != 2.718282
> Done
> got val = 3.250000
> got val = 0.000000
> got val = 2.718282
> got val = 82555
> got val = 97
> got NC_CHAR val = A (0x41)
> got NC_CHAR val = B (0x42)
> got NC_CHAR val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got val = A (0x41)
> got val = B (0x42)
> got val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got vals = 0.000000 ... 447.000000
> re nc_close ret = 0
>       cmp test.nc test_nc.sav
> test.nc test_nc.sav differ: char 173, line 2
> Make: "cmp test.nc test_nc.sav": Error code 1
>
> --------------83764D82121997C8F91E3A59--

Hmmm...  Would you please send me the file "libsrc/test.nc".  I'd like
to see what netCDF output file the "t_nc" program is creating.  Perhaps
that will indicate the problem.

--------