Re: 19980112: T3-D build problem: libsrc/test.nc comparison failure

David,

[Russ asked me to look into your problem.]

In the above message, you wrote:

> FFLAGS="-g -dp"  export FFLAGS

The FFLAGS environment variable should contain the string "-F" as
mentioned in the INSTALL file (unfortunately, I don't know what it's for
and the person who does is out at the moment).  Please don't do anything
because of this, however (see below).

> 24 sequoia:src> which cf77
> /opt/ctl/bin.prod/cf77

Actually, since you set the environment variable to "F90", I'm more
insterested in the output from the command "which f90".

> checking for Fortran "integer*1"... yes
> checking for Fortran "integer*2"... yes
> checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "signed char"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "short"... yes
> checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*1" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "short"... yes
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "int"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer*2" is C "long"... no
> checking if Fortran "integer" is C "int"... yes
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "float"... no
> checking if Fortran "real" is C "double"... yes
> checking if Fortran "doubleprecision" is C "double"... yes

Interesting machine.

Offhand, I don't see anything in the output from the configure script
(standard output, standard error, and the file "config.log") that causes
me any concern.

> Making `test' in directory /tmp/wdx/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>         ar cru   libnetcdf.a attr.o  dim.o  error.o  libvers.o  nc.o
> ncio.o  ncx.o  putget.o  string.o  v1hpg.o  v2i.o  var.o
>         ranlib libnetcdf.a
> ranlib-702 ranlib: INFO
>   The optimized archive is up-to-date.
>         cc -o t_nc -O  t_nc.o -L. -lnetcdf
>         ./t_nc
> trying again
> dimrename: IXX
> nc_close ret = 0
>
> reopen id = 274878097344 for filename test.nc
> NC done
> GATTR VAR VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> fill_seq indices         1 2 3  75.000000 != 2.718282
> Done
> got val = 3.250000
> got val = 0.000000
> got val = 2.718282
> got val = 82555
> got val = 97
> got NC_CHAR val = A (0x41)
> got NC_CHAR val = B (0x42)
> got NC_CHAR val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got val = A (0x41)
> got val = B (0x42)
> got val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got vals = 0.000000 ... 447.000000
> re nc_close ret = 0
>         cmp test.nc test_nc.sav
> test.nc test_nc.sav differ: char 173, line 2

The failure of the above "blunder test" in the "libsrc/" directory
might indicate a problem -- or it could just be an artifact of the test
procedure being done on a T3D when the output file (test.nc) already
exists (this is indicated by the "trying again" message in the above).
As I'm sure you're aware, I/O on a Cray can be a non-trivial matter.
The only way to tell for sure is to remove the output file and reexecute
the test.

Would you please do the following:

    1.  Go into the "src/libsrc/" subdirectory.

    2.  Remove the file "test.nc".

    3.  Set the following environment variables to the indicated values:

            VARIABLE            VALUE
            --------            -----
            TARGET              cray-t3d
            MPP_NPES            1

    4.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the file; otherwise,

    5.  Go up one directory to the top-level source directory.

    6.  Execute the command "make test".  Redirect standard output and
        standard error to the file "test.log".  If an error occurs, then
        stop and send me the file; otherwise,

    7.  Execute the command "make install".  Redirect standard output
        stand andard error to the file "install.log".  If an error
        stoccurs, then op and send me the file; otherwise;

    8.  Execute the command "make clean" unless you intend to install
        the package -- using the same sources -- on a different system.
        In this case you should execute the command "make distclean".

--------