Re: 19990107: correction

>To: address@hidden
>From: "David C. Wong" <address@hidden>
>Subject: correction

Hi David,

>    I am trying to install netcdf3.4 on the T3D. I was following all the
> installation steps. I compiled the code without any error but it crashed
> when the test phase was undergoing. The error message is:
>
> Making `test' in directory /tmp/wdx/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>         ar cru   libnetcdf.a attr.o  dim.o  error.o  libvers.o  nc.o
> ncio.o  ncx.o  putget.o  string.o  v1hpg.o  v2i.o  var.o
>         ranlib libnetcdf.a
> ranlib-702 ranlib: INFO
>   The optimized archive is up-to-date.
>         cc -o t_nc -O  t_nc.o -L. -lnetcdf
>         ./t_nc
> mppexec: Invalid number of PEs specifed (NPES=0).

and later ...

>    I am sorry I sent in the wrong error message. Here is the correct
> error message when I did the test:
>
> Making `test' in directory /tmp/wdx/netcdf-3.4/src/libsrc
>
> FORCE: No action was taken.
>         ar cru   libnetcdf.a attr.o  dim.o  error.o  libvers.o  nc.o
> ncio.o  ncx.o  putget.o  string.o  v1hpg.o  v2i.o  var.o
>         ranlib libnetcdf.a
> ranlib-702 ranlib: INFO
>   The optimized archive is up-to-date.
>         cc -o t_nc -O  t_nc.o -L. -lnetcdf
>         ./t_nc
> trying again
> dimrename: IXX
> nc_close ret = 0
>
> reopen id = 274878097344 for filename test.nc
> NC done
> GATTR VAR VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> VATTR
> fill_seq indices         1 2 3  75.000000 != 2.718282
> Done
> got val = 3.250000
> got val = 0.000000
> got val = 2.718282
> got val = 82555
> got val = 97
> got NC_CHAR val = A (0x41)
> got NC_CHAR val = B (0x42)
> got NC_CHAR val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got val = A (0x41)
> got val = B (0x42)
> got val = "The red death had long devastated the country."
> got vals = 0.000000 ... 447.000000
> re nc_close ret = 0
>         cmp test.nc test_nc.sav
> test.nc test_nc.sav differ: char 173, line 2

The fact that the number of processors was wrong the first time you
tried this test may have caused libsrc/test.nc to be generated
incorrectly, and on a T3D rerunning the same test when the test file
libsrc/test.nc exists may cause the test to fail.  I recommend first
deleting libsrc/test.nc before running "make test" from the top-level
directory.

If this still fails, please try rebuilding again by

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

    3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

    4.  Set your environment variables as before.  But make sure
        /mpp/bin is at the head of your PATH environment variable.
        Also, unless you've already verified other environment
        variables work, set these environment variables

        TARGET=cray-t3d
        MPP_NPES=1
        CC=cc
        CPPFLAGS=-DNDEBUG
        CFLAGS=-O
        FC=f90
        FFLAGS="-g -F -dp"
        CXX=""  # if problems compiling cplusplus, use CXXFLAGS="-h char"?

    5.  Execute the configure script.

    6.  Execute the commands "make", "make test", make install".
        Expect some compiler warnings, but if any of these steps fail,
        send us the output of configure and all the output of the make
        command, as described in the INSTALL file section on reporting
        problems.

--Russ