Re: 19981207: netcdf use

>To: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
>From: Maureen Moore <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf

Hi Maureen,

> I have reviewed the web site on NetCDF but am still a little confused as
> to its purpose. It may be that what we do with the data here doesn't
> require the NetCDF but I thought I would ask. What we do mainly is
> display current conditions and some model data using GEMPAK (all through
> scripts which are called in the crontab). Can you point me in the right
> direction to learn who finds a use for the NetCDF and why? Thanks!

You don't need netCDF for use with GEMPAK, because GEMPAK has its own
format for model data.  If you were using multiple applications with
the same data, you might have to use something like netCDF as an
application-neutral data format.  There's lots of examples of where
netCDF is used at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/usage.html

> Also, I was looking at the page:
>  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/mfs/01/platforms2.html?1#mfs
> and was curious to know if it is still up to date (I didn't notice a
> date on it). We had heard rumors concerning the development of java
> programs but that page makes it sound like Solaris machines will
> continue to be supported by UNIDATA. Is this still correct?

The format of that page is currently under revision (I'm curious,
where did you ever get that URL?), but the information it contains on
software and platforms is up-to-date.  The official version of the
platforms information is at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/platforms.html

which has a revision data of 01-Dec-1998.

--Russ