Re: NetCDF and asynchronous data

>To: address@hidden
>From: Dave Aubin <address@hidden>
>Subject: Variables/Parameters related to specific times ...

Hi Dave,

>   You were kind enough to answer this question for one of my compatriots
> recently, but he is currently unavailable; I have to return to the
> source.
>
>   We do post flight data reduction for recorded 1553 data.  This data is
> asynchronous in the sense that a given parameter appears at a given
> frequency (say, 20 times per second), but other parameters are posted at
> some other frequency.
>
>   We have created an elementary capability to produce a NetCDF file for
> any given parameter.  We are having trouble putting multiple parameters
> in the same file.  This asynchronous characteristic appears to be the
> culprit.
>
>   Would you suggest a site where we could derive an optimum solution to
> posting asynchcronous data of this nature in a single NetCDF file?

One solution is to use the conventions established at NCAR's Research
Aviation Facility (NCAR-RAF):

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/Conventions/NCAR-RAF/nimbus/Conventions.TimeSeries
 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/Conventions/NCAR-RAF/nimbus/MultiRate.cdl
 ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/Conventions/NCAR-RAF/nimbus/LowRate.cdl

The replies I sent to Larry Bunch to answer a less-specific question
about conventions for representing time in netCDF files are also still
available in our email support archive, at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3183
 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/netcdf/3182

--Russ