Re: 19981124: Variables/Parameters related to specific times ...

>To: address@hidden
>cc: Dave Aubin <address@hidden>
>From: Larry Bunch <address@hidden>
>Subject: Variables/Parameters related to specific times ...

Hi Larry,

> In an effort to implement the netCDF software into our Data Reduction
> Services platform, I've discovered a need to associate the several
> 1553 variables/parameters with unique times from their message frames.
> I'm unable to implement the concept into the netCDF software that I've
> developed. What are the basics involved in associating a specific time
> with a given variable?

There is more than one way to do this, depending on specifics such as
the time resolution you need, but the recommended way is to use a
separate time variable with a units attribute that uses the "udunits"
package for encoding the time units.  For more information on this
(probably more information than you want) see our recommended netCDF
time conventions at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/time/recs.html

or the full discussion of other alternatives at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/time/

More information about udunits is available from

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/udunits/

Other groups have established more specific conventions that include
the representation of time in netCDF files. For more information on
such conventions, see the NetCDF Conventions Page at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/conventions.html

--Russ