Re: 19981123: netCDF install help

>To: address@hidden
>From: Jim Long <address@hidden>
>Subject: install help

Jim,

>     I though I had to change the environment variables in the
> macros.make.def file, do I do it instead in .cshrc? Yes, I am a newbie....

Sorry I wasn't clearer about this.  You don't make any changes to any
files.  You just make sure the necessary environment variables are set
in your environment before you run the configure script again.  The
INSTALL file doesn't give detailed instructions for how to set
environment variables.

How you set an environment variable on a Unix system depends on which
shell you are using.  You can usually tell which shell you are using
by invoking the command "echo $SHELL".  If you are using a shell such
as "csh" or "tcsh" to interact with the system, environment variables
are set with the "setenv" command, for example:

  % setenv CC /opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
  % setenv CPPFLAGS ""
  % setenv CFLAGS "-O"
  % setenv FC /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
  % setenv FFLAGS "-O -erroff=WDECL_LOCAL_NOTUSED"
  % setenv CXX /opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

If you are using ksh, sh, or bash, use the "export" statement instead
to set environment variables, for example:

  $ export CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/c89
  $ export CPPFLAGS=
  $ export CFLAGS=-O
  $ export FC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77
  $ export FFLAGS="-O -erroff=WDECL_LOCAL_NOTUSED"
  $ export CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

In either case, after setting the environment variables you want, you
should start over with building netcdf, such as the following:

  % make distclean    # don't worry if this produces an error message
  % rm config.cache   # necessary if you have run the configure script here
before
  % ./configure       # run the script, maybe use --prefix=wherever to tell
                      # where it will be installed, as described in INSTALL
  % make all
  % make test
  % make install

--Russ