Re: netCDF Java

> Do you have any thoughts on how to hook up the Entry.close() method?
> The NetcdfServer process gets pretty large after a few dozen netCDF
> files have been opened (and not closed).  I was going to look at
> that, but I don't have a jdk1.1.7 rmic for Linux (1.1.6 is the latest
> available).

Michael:

I've made some changes to the rmi code for Netcdf which I hope will
fix this problem. When files are no longer in use, the rmi runtime
will eventually call ucar.netcdf.NetcdfRemoteProxyImpl.,
which will close the file in ucar.netcdf.NetcdfServer, which will unreference
the NetcdfFile, which will allow it to get garbage collected. You can speed
up the starting of this process by calling the new function
RemoteNetcdf.close() on the client side.

The new stuff is available in the usual place,
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/ucar19981103.tar.Z

Let me know if this helps or not in your application.

-glenn