Re: Compressed netcdf

Bill,

> Russ, Glenn and Steve -- I made some minor changes to the znetcdf info page
> and added some performance numbers:
> http://snow.cit.cornell.edu/noon/z_netcdf.html
>
> If it looks fine, I would like to announce it generally tomorrow on the
> netcdf mailing list.
>
> Your comments are appreciated.

The compression is impressive, especially considering there is no
significant difference in performance.

You might change the reference to ncgzip as a "utility routine" to a
"utility program", assuming it's a program you can invoke from the
command line rather than a routine you have to invoke from a program.

I wasn't quite clear on whether setting the Buffer Size to 8k meant the
default compression factor was 0, or whether the Buffer Size could be
set independently of the compression factor.  Maybe my confusion is just
from your example timings, where the 8k buffer size is associated with
no compression.

--Russ