Re: 980407: netcdf beginning

>To: address@hidden
>From: "Ghisolfi, R. David" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf beginning

Hi David,

>       I have some oceanographic data and I want to put them in netcdf
> format, but I have no idea where to begin. Where can I find some help and
> what are the requirements to do that?

You should probably first decide whether you will be using the C,
Fortran, C++, perl, Python, or Java programming interface.  The first
two have the best documentation in the form of User Guides, available
from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/docs.html

There are some exiting conventions for representing oceanographic data
in netCDF:

  http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/epic/General_Conv.html

and

  http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html

There are also some newer proposed conventions available from

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/coords/0054.html

and

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/coords/0058.html

that are discussed along with other proposals on

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/coords/proposals.html

--Russ