Re: 980406: NetCDF-3.3.1 compile problems on Cray UNICOS

>To: address@hidden
>From: Randy Zagar <address@hidden>
>Subject: NetCDF-3.3.1 compile problems on Cray UNICOS

Hi Randy,

> Please put me in contact with someone who has successfully compiled
> and tested NetCDF-3.3.1 under Cray UNICOS (we've got a J90).
>
> I had to make several changes to the distribution to get things to
> even compile on the J90, and I cannot get the FORTRAN interface working
> properly at all!!!

By submitting the query "j90" to the search of our "netCDF support email
archive", which is a link near the bottom of the netCDF home page at

 http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

you can see email responses to several people who have succeeded in
compiling netCDF-3.3.1 for the J90:

  Olaf Heudecker <address@hidden>
  Chuck Divine <address@hidden>
  Holger Wenzel <address@hidden>

The support responses available there discuss several problems people
had trying to get this combination to work and what workarounds solved
the problems.

However, you might have an easier time with netCDF 3.4, for which the
following notes are available in the INSTALL file giving directions for
building the release on various platforms:

 sn9607 (UNICOS) ouray 10.0.0 and.2 CRAY J90
        Cray Standard C Version 6.0.1.3 03/04/98 14:55:01
        Cray CF90 Version 3.0.1.3 03/04/98 14:55:17
        Cray C++ Version 3.0.1.3 03/04/98 15:13:33
 Fri Mar  6 14:37:42 MST 1998

    The "-F" option in the following causes the Fortran compiler to
    1) do its own preprocessing of *.F files rather than use a separate
    utility; and 2) substitute macros in code as well as in conditional
    compilation directives (which is necessary).

    Before executing make(1), manually copy the file "libsrc/ncx_cray.c"
    to file "libsrc/ncx.c".  See the commentary at the top of this file
    for more information.

    --------

    # The following requires about 46.3 MB for the source build-and-test
    # directory hierarchy, and about 6.8 MB for the installation
    # directory hierarchy.
    CC=/opt/ctl/bin/cc
    CPPFLAGS=
    CFLAGS= -O3                 # -g works as well
    FC=/opt/ctl/bin/f90
    FFLAGS="-g -F -dp"     # "-F" enables macro substitution in code.
                                # "-dp" enables DOUBLEPRECISION/double
                                #     equivalence.
    CXX=/opt/ctl/bin/CC
    CXXFLAGS=                   # "-h char" may be necessary with
                                # older rev C++ compilers

        The 'C' compiler may run out of memory compiling libsrc/putget.c
        using "-O3" option.
        cc-7951 cc: LIMIT File = putget.c, Line = 6617
                Insufficient memory is available for compiler to continue.
        (We don't see this problem anymore.) You can work around this
        by compiling -O2
                cd libsrc; c89 -c -O2 -I.  -DNDEBUG putget.c
        and continuing with the build.

        The C compiler issues some warnings:
                cc-7212 c89: ... Variable "xx" is used before it is defined.
        We believe these are unfounded. Since the only appear with
        optimization, they may be due to the compiler's inlining strategy.

        In nf_test, you can ignore the following warning:
 ldr-290 f90: CAUTION
     Duplicate entry point 'HASH' was encountered.
     Entry in module 'HASH' from file 'util.o' has been used.
     Entry in module '$ZZFFLOW' from file '/opt/ctl/mpt/mpt/lib/libc.a' has
     been ignored.

--Russ