Re: 980403: NetCDF 3.3.1

>To: address@hidden
>From: Louise Martin <address@hidden>
>Subject: (no subject)

Hi Louise,

>   I was wondering if  you could assist  me with an error I get when
> running "make:"
> on a sparc running Sun0S 4.1.4 . It is as follows:
>
> Making `all' in directory /bel-pub1/netcdf-3.3.1/src/ncdump
>
> /home2/tools/bin/gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG ncdump.c
> /home2/tools/bin/gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG vardata.c
> /home2/tools/bin/gcc -c -O -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG dumplib.c
> /home2/tools/bin/gcc -o ncdump -O  ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o
> - -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
> collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
> ld: Undefined symbol
>    _memmove
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ncdump'
> Current working directory /bel-pub1/netcdf-3.3.1/src/ncdump

I used the "netCDF support e-mail archive" link under Searches on the
netCDF home page at <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/>, and
typed in the word "collect2" as what to search for.  There were about
five relevant responses returned, and the first one contains a pretty
good answer from Steve Emmerson (I've updated the links and version info):

  It appears that you are missing the Standard C function "memmove()".
  This is undoubtably due to the age of your vendor-supplied C compiler
  (SC1.0 is quite old).  The GNU C compiler fixes some problems with the
  vendor-supplied C header files, but it can't create a function that
  doesn't exist.

  I see two possible solutions:

      A.  Install the latest C compiler from Sun (SC4.2, I think); or

      B.  Install the freely-available GNU C++ library.  This *should*
          contain the memmove() function in the library "libiberty.a" that
          it installs.  The GNU C++ library can be found at the following
          site:

              ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu

          Look for the file "libg++-2.8.1.1.tar.gz".

  When you then attempt to rebuild the netCDF package, do the following:

      1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

      2.  Execute the command "make distclean".

      3.  Remove the file "config.cache" if it exists.

      4.  Set your environment variables as before but add a reference to
          the install library "libiberty.a" to the LIBS variable, e.g.

LIBS='/usr2/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.4_JL/2.8.8.1/libgcc.a
  -L/usr/local/gnu/lib -liberty'

          NOTE: The actual pathname might be different on your system --
          depending on where you install it.

      5.  Re-execute the configure script.

      6.  Proceed normally from here.

>   Also, go you know of any netCDF discussion groups/faq sites (besides
> the one on you web page) where I might go to seek advice or hints for
> problems such as this.

There is a lot of useful information in the email archives we keep, that
includes all the responses to support questions we've answered about
netCDF (all 2593 of them!).

If you have a question of general interest that is not answered in the
support archives and posing it to address@hidden doesn't get
you a good answer, you could ask the address@hidden
mailing list, but be aware that there are hundreds of users on that
mailing list.  You might also post a netCDF question of general interest
to the sci.data.formats USENET newsgroup, but I'm not sure how many
netCDF experts regularly read that newsgroup.

--Russ