Re: NETCDF

> Hi Glenn,
>
> I have had a request to supply NETCDF for a customer of ours here in the UK.
> Can you tell me what the status of the product is, for the T3E and
Origin2000?

> I would like to know if it is available, and if there is a license cost?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  - Crispin.
>
> ps. I got your name from Steve Luzmoor
>
> --
> Crispin Keable
>                               E-mail:- address@hidden
> Applications Analyst          direct line:- (44) 118 925 7016
> Cray Research                         switchboard:- (44) 118 925 7500
> a Silicon Graphics company    fax:-         (44) 118 925 7104

A good starting point for finding out about netcdf is the netcdf
home page:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

Netcdf compiles and works on T3E and all SGI's, as well as any
number of other machines.
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#platforms

Currently, it is not "thread safe" or
"multiprocessor safe" in the sense that if you are using it
in a parallel environment, you need to make sure that all the
netcdf calls happen in the same thread. (If you are interested in
this, I can bring you up to speed on the issues.)

Netcdf is freely distributable, copyrighted code. Details at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/copyright.html
We would encourage vendors to supply it with systems.

For high performance applications, you may be interested in
the contributed mmap based i/o layer, mmapio.c. This is especially
effective & useful on IRIX because IRIX mmap() has the MAP_AUTOGROW
flag.
ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/mmapio.c.

-glenn