Re: 980312: netcdf-3.4 RPM redistribution

>To: address@hidden
>From: Richard van Hees <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf-3.4 RPM

Hi Richard,

> I do not know if you are familiar with the Red Hat RPM package format, but it
> start to become a standard in the Linux community. For more info:
>
>  http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/manual/manual/doc060.html

I wasn't familiar with it, but it looks like a very useful packaging
standard.

> I have created a source package: netcdf-3.4-2.src.rpm (which includes the new
> man-pages), and a binary package (for Linux on PowerMacs):
> netcdf-3.4-2.ppc.rpm
> (I could create one for Linux on intel).
>
> My questions:
> - - Is there any objection against distribution these RPM packages, if
> not I will upload them to Red Hat, do want them on the unidata site too?

We have no objection, and are grateful for the work you have done in
creating the RPM packages.  Please do upload them to Red Hat.

From

  http://www.rpm.org/platforms.html

I see there are other platforms besides Linux on which RPM can be used,
so it seems this form of source package might be more generally useful.
I would like to be able to provide interested users with access to the
RPM form of the packages, if possible, perhaps by adding an entry to our
FAQ list.  If access to the RPM packages only requires a URL to your
site or Red Hat, that would be ideal; I would just add the link to our
FAQ.

Otherwise, I think I would delay uploading them here until we know there
is some interest in having the package available in that form.

>  - How shall I describe the copyrights; it 's not GPL -- will "free software"
> do?

Yes, although we usually use the term "freely available".  There is a
copyright accompanying the software, but thanks to a wording change
suggested to us by Richard Stallman, it doesn't restrict free
redistribution and use of the software in any significant way.

Thanks again for your efforts.

--Russ