Re: 971204: netcdf.tar.Z

>To: netCDF support <address@hidden>
>From: "A.D. Robinson" <address@hidden>
>Subject: netcdf.tar.Z

Hi,

> I have just obtained the latest release of netCDF (v 3.3.1) from your ftp
> site.
>
> However, when uncompressing the release I've ran out of disk space
> allocation.
>
> Please can you tell me how much disk space I will need for the untarred
> files.

The untarred files require about 4 Mbytes.

More disk space is required for building and testing netCDF; the amount
needed varies a bit by platform.  On a SPARC/Solaris 2.6 platfrom,
running "make all" raises the total space required to about 5.6 Mbytes.
If you run "make test" to test the result, the total needed increases to
9.9 Mbytes, but running "make test" is not necessary if you are just
building on a platform on which netCDF has already been tested.  Running
"make install" installs about 1 Mbytes of libraries, executables and
documentation, which are all you need after building netCDF.  The
installation uses less space if you don't need the C++ or Fortran
interfaces.

--Russ